Department Store Horrors

So, I recently started working at a department store and when I started training to work on the cash register (they call it POS) people shared stories about how people would treat them badly. I just thought, maybe if I put a smile on my face and act as nice as humanly possible I won't be treated badly. I was wrong.
I was working one day and a woman comes up to me asking if I could help her with looking up a product in cosmetics, I am not trained in cosmetics and do not have the computers to look up what products are in the back, so I told her this. I swear if there was a table in front of this woman she would have flipped it when I told her she would have to go back to customer service. I don't understand why it was my fault that I wasn't trained in that particular area and why I do not have the equipment to do every task.
That same day, a woman asks for me to ring up her items. I begin to do so and she has a bottle of perfume (all our perfumes are in security boxes) and I couldn't get the security box to open. I struggled with the box for two minutes and the woman looks at me and growls "never mind, I'll find someone who's capable". I am so sorry that the tools I have are not always strong enough to open the security boxes and tags. Not only are some of them not strong enough, I don't know how to work ALL of them yet. I haven't worked there for very long. This woman storms off, leaving all of her items with me. Turned out, she went and got all new of the same items and took them to another register. I could have given them back to you if you had just asked, but okay.
Finally, I work behind the jewelry counter at this store and I was helping this woman find a pair of earrings that she liked. We looked and looked and she finally found a couple pairs she liked enough to buy. She reaches into her purse and finds her wallet has been stolen. Right out of her purse while we were looking and talking about earrings. We spend a half hour looking, going back to customer service, reporting what had happened and then a manager comes over with the wallet. Her cash was all gone but whoever had taken it left the rest of her belongings. The first thing the woman said when she got her wallet back was, "thank God my husband's obituary is still here," it tore my heart to pieces. She didn't care about the money, she wasn't worried about her car key, she didn't care if her credit cards had to be deactivated. All she wanted in her wallet was her husband's obituary. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen (not to mention, she still bought the earrings).

Comments

  1. I have worked in department stores before and you will have a lot of rude customers, but all you can do is smile and try your best. Though there are still those amazing customers that are the sweetest and kindest you'll ever meet. I hope things work out for you at this job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams are Weird...

Hit a Rut

Black Friday