Phobias

Today I had to give a speech on phobias, so I'm just going to talk about  those for a bit. Phobias are an anxiety disorder defined as, persistent irrational fears of something that poses no threat. There are some weird phobias out there, I have two strange phobias myself. Achondroplasiaphobia, is the first of my two phobias, and it is the fear of midgets. I don't know why this is, so don't ask, and I know, "they're just people". My second phobia is autoucmbustophobia, this is the fear of spontaneous human combustion. I am terrified that one day I'm going to be walking down the street and either I just going to burst into flames out of nowhere, or someone is going to pour gasoline all over me and light a match. I know for a fact that this stems from my fear of dying in a fire, which stems from a movie I watched when I was about 7 years old. The movie was called The Gift and I have no idea what it was about, all I remember is some man tied his father up to a chair, beat him with a belt, poured gasoline all over him and lit him up. I have refused to watch any part of that movie since. Now, don't get confused here, I'm not afraid of fire itself, lighting a match doesn't effect me, in fact I love the smell of a lit match; I'm just terrified of being on fire.
The thing about having a phobia is, no one takes it seriously. When I start having an anxiety attack in the middle of Petland because two little people, I swear to God, were following me throughout the store. No one thinks its a thing. They laugh, they say I'm being dramatic, they think I'm faking an overreaction in an attempt to be funny. When in reality, I'm being followed by two midgets around the store and I am LITERALLY scared for my life. I mean, yeah, feel free to laugh; it is weird and I have absolutely no explanation for it, but for some reason it's there. So, if someone you know says that they have a phobia of something, even if it's ridiculous, don't say they're joking, being dramatic, or over exaggerating, because you have no idea what kind of effects their fear has on them.

Comments

  1. Yah even though others may think our phobias are silly they are real to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fear of following those semi-trucks that transport cars. I have visions of the chains coming loose and the cars rolling off the truck and onto me. I pass them whenever and however possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how tall is aunt carol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams are Weird...

Hit a Rut

Black Friday