My Take on IT: The Main Characters (spoilers ahead)

It's really late and the hype is over, but I watched IT today. Over all, it was made nicely. Following the book and original TV miniseries, it sucked. I am a fan of the original, and watching the new one and seeing how different it is made me mad.  Not only did they cut out some signature scenes, like when Georgie's picture bled, the wolf man, the showers, and Ben's dad; they lacked any emotional connection to one another. The group in the miniseries had chemistry and there was a sense of togetherness throughout the who thing. The new movie, and these new kids, they didn't have that.Yes, I think it's cool how they went deeper into the kids' lives, but their stories should at least be accurate and go with the book. (keep in mind this is all based on my memory and opinions. Please don't take offense if you like the movie.)



Breaking down the characters:
Beverly
She was some kind of badass which is opposite from the original. Her dad was played well though, and you really got to see why Beverly hated her dad so much in both the original and the remake. They didn't, however, acknowledge that he was the janitor at the school and that's why the other girls picked on her. On top of all that, what was with the hair cutting? She looked so pretty with long hair and after the first twenty minutes of the movie she was hacking it off!! Then there was the blood in the sink... I'm just going to say it was way too much, and leave it at that, because I could go on for three more paragraphs for that and you're probably already bored.
Bill
There were so many signature lines they cut out, ["Help me. You killed my brother George, you bastard! Let's see you now. Let's see you now. It's scared of us you know? I can feel that. I swear to God I can. I... I wanna kill it. Help me. Please help me. Help me."] being one of them. That was a really emotional scene and they just chopped it out of the new movie. They didn't even have Bill WANT help he just kind of said; come or not I don't care I'm a big tough guy, screw you; and went on his merry way.
Eddie
I don't have a lot to complain about with him. I liked him; he's the only one that gave the group the innocence it, so desperately, needed. I hated how they replaced the clown coming out of the shower drain with a leaper (which I didn't get at all from the costume and make up on the guy). I hated how he was a germaphobe. And most of all, I hate that they took out the "This is Battery Acid you Slime!!"
Richie
This kid made me so mad. Every other word was a curse word, he was so perverted, and he was so obnoxious he didn't even have the chance to be funny. They threw out all of the few good qualities that character had out the window and left the movie with this stupid little brat that I wish Pennywise ate. Not to mention, NONE of the kids ever said "beep beep, Richie" like they did a lot in the miniseries, so how would Pennywise know to say that? 
Stan
He was stupid... That's basically all. In the original Stan was smart, analytical, skeptical, and cautious of everything. He didn't even see IT until they were looking at the picture book Mike had. In the new movie, he was just stupid and they really paid attention to the fact that he was Jewish.  
Mike
He's the one that brought the picture book! Ben didn't look up anything! It was Mike! and they give him absolutely no credit to that. They barely give Mike a purpose to be in the movie other than to get beat up by Henry Bowers. And why is he able to shoot the sheep after seeing IT? There was NO connection there.
Ben
He looked like he was 10. He looked way too young, Beverly and Mike looked way too old, the only ones that looked as if they were even remotely the same age were Bill, Eddie, and Stan. Ben also didn't get sliced up in the original! What do people think? This is the 21st century if there is no blood in the first 15 minutes of a horror movie we hate it. The poor kid was slashed up and healed so many times I forgot what I was watching.

Pennywise the Dancing Clown
He was the only character that I didn’t dislike. He was played fantastically, his makeup was incredible and he really was that “grab you by the throat” scary movie character. Well done Pennywise.

Overall, the recreation’s characters weren’t Stephen King’s. This was a completely different movie in the worst way possible. On its own, as its own story, it was good; but in the sense that it has to live up to the original miniseries and the book, sorry Warner Bros., try again. 

Comments

  1. will your aunt carol go to a movie with me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams are Weird...

Hit a Rut

Black Friday